Monday, July 1st, 2013 7:05 pm
Posted by: kris
After teaming up with Zane on the Instagram contest we have going UNTIL TOMORROW we decided to drop a little 11 Questions on ya. Haven’t done one in a while and haven’t ever done one with a videographer so I’m pretty stoked on this. Zane’s at the forefront of fixed freestyle right now via his involvement with UVT and the successful Can’t Fool the Youth Series. I know a lot of dudes grew up watching 411 videos on the regular so what the CFTY series has brought to the scene is welcomed. Here’s a look into the brain of Zane Meyer…and don’t forget to jump on the Instagram contest before its too lateee.
(filming Matt Reyes wall 180)
1) How long have you been riding/involved with the scene?
ZANE: I got my first bike in 2009. An SE Lager.
(the early days)
2) After spending time with some of the top riders on issues 1 and 2 what do you see in store for the future of FGFS?
ZANE: FGFS has so much potential. The peak has not hit yet especially seeing these Young Gunz pushing the scene. I have always looked at skateboarding as a great parallel to FGFS. The early 2009 days were our “Dog Town” years trying to figure everything out. Now we are in the early 80′s era of skateboarding. The bikes are dialed now, riders perfecting their style and traeling around the world. Bigger companies are going to come in the next year or two and really put this sport on the map for the world to see. I truly believe some riders will make a career outof this sport.
3) I’m sure you’re stoked on CFTY as a whole but you have to like one section more than the others…which one?
ZANE: That’s hard. I love the griminess of the road trip. Everyone went hard. Friends section is always fun to edit but Devon’s part was my favorite. Slum and I filmed it and Slum put it together really well.
4) Editing video means late nights in front of the computer. Favorite fast food joint at 2AM?
ZANE: No fast food for me. Water and sunflower seeds are usually what I’m eating while editing. Got to get of the seeds…
5) What motivated you to make the jump from just being into bikes to beingdirectly involved in the industry?
ZANE: I have had great opportunities come my way. I have always done the video media for Us Versus Them. James Banuelous introduced FGFS to UVT and was managing the team at the time. When Gus first started riding with us I started filming with him and he introduced me to all the Long Beach riders. James later brought Steven Jensen on the team and gave me the chance to run it. Day 1 I welcomed Devon Lawson and just recently brought Dew Sippawit on board. Then about a year ago I joined Colby (Elrick) & Corbin (Dahl) to run SKYLMT. Stay tuned for big things coming!
(filming Steven Jensen)
6) Now that issue 2 is under your belt is what can everyone expect to peep in issue 3?
ZANE: Issue 1 i filmed and edited just about everything myself. Issue 2 Matt Reyes, Jeff Dempler, Mike Schmitt and Omar (Sebai) helped film and sent in clips. Issue 3 and future issues from here on out will consist of more footage from different filmers. Issue 3 specifically will have a day in the life section. I’m also looking into doing a photo book for issue 3 with the DVD and Gus’s zine inside.
(Matt Reyes shooting a Jakob Santos double peg for CFTY2)
7) If you make action sports videos you’ve got to have a favorite…drop one or two and why?
ZANE: Favorite videos…I grew up skateboarding so I would say 411 Video Magazine. Loved that format. That’s where a lot of the influence came from for CFTY. Fulfill the Dream and any Girl?Chocolate video.
8) CFTY filled a void for FGFS in my book. What are some overall goals for the series?
ZANE: Thanks! I would say just to keep filming and the culture and lifestyle that surrounds FGFS.
9) I know you’re a busy dude with a lot of projects going. What inspires you to keep pushing forward?
My dad always told me hands are better full than empty. The best inspiration is having creative content in your life. I’m always trying to surround myself with creative people.
10) Any tips for aspiring filmmakers out there looking to get something started?
ZANE: Always have your camera around your neck. A lot of the content in my videos were not planned out but just me capturing reality. I wouldn’t go to film school unless someone is paying you.
11) Shoutouts to the homies?!
Shout outs…so many…My best friends Vanessa has always stuck by me through my highs and lows. Big shout out to the UVT Fam. Every single person in FGFS that is still pushing the sport. Colby, Matt Reyes, Jeff Dempler, Mike Schmitt and Omar for being involved in the last issue!